There are two units in this department
1. Controlled Drugs
FUNCTIONS OF THE DEPARTMENT
- The investigation and compilation of case files for the Board
- Preventing and prohibiting the importation, manufacture, distribution, dispensing and selling of all counterfeit, adulterated, banned medicines. Substandard or expired medicines and other regulated products
- Combating the hawking of medicines and other regulated products that are not duly registered with the Board.
- Prevention and combating the establishment or opening of illegal pharmaceutical outlets that are not duly licensed by the board.
- Enforcing the control of the importation, distribution and use of narcotics and psychotropic substances in Sierra Leone
- Ensuring that Sierra Leone’s obligation under the international drugs treaties with respect to narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances are fulfilled.
- Promoting activities gearing toward the rational use of drugs and reducing demand for the psychotropic drugs.